Biblioteca de Mexico "Jose Vasconcelos"
Sponsor: Government of Mexico
Type: International, open, RfQI, 2-stage (7 finalists to be selected)
Eligibility: Architects licensed to practice in their country of
residence with at least 10 years experience.
27 June 2003 - Deadline for registration
02 Oct 2003 - Deadline for second stage submissions
The “Biblioteca” will be the central facility of the National Network
of Public Libraries, a system of almost 6,500 libraries throughout the
country. It will be located in Mexico City, and ultimately house more
than 2 million volumes of the world’s greatest reading material. At the same time, the library will employ the latest technology to connect citizens of Mexico, their public libraries, and their rich cultural heritage with the other great libraries of the world. This will be a facility everyone can share and enjoy, a place to encourage literacy, cultural interaction, and personal growth. Mexico has one of the world’s greatest arquitectural patrimonies, and the new “Biblioteca” must contribute to that heritage.
• Shigeru Ban (Japan). Architect. Designer of the Japanese Pavillion at the Hanover World Fair.
• Aaron Betsky (Netherlands). Architect. Director of the Nrtherlands Architecture Institute.
• José Luis Cortés (México). Architect. Vicepresident of the
• Francisco de Pablo (México). Civil engineer.
• Carlos Fuentes (México). Author
• Carlos Jiménez (U.S.A.). Architect.
• Felipe Leal Fernández (México). Architect. Dierctor of the Faculty of Architecture in the National Autonomous University of Mexcio (UNAM).
• Carlos Mijares Bracho (México). Architect.
• Carlos Morales Hendry (Colombia). Architect.
• Elsa Ramírez Leyva (México). Library scientist. Researcher in the
Center fo Library Research, UNAM.
• Ricardo Rodríguez Rodríguez (México). Architect. President of the
Mexico City College of Architects.
• Mark Robbins (U.S.A.). Architect.
• Daniel Ruiz (México). Civil engineer.
• Tod Williams (U.S.A.). Architect.
• Jorge von Ziegler (México). Author. Director general of Libraries
To register, go to the competition website: www.conaculta.gob.mx
Then, under "2", click on "Concurso Internacional de Arquitectura
Biblioteca de México José Vasconcelos or to phone / fax 5510-3806 and 5521-0950